Glastonbury 2021 Officially Canceled Due to Pandemic

Glastonbury has been called off for the second year in a row due to Covid-19, according to Pitchfork. The music festival, which is one of the largest worldwide, had been scheduled to take place June 23 to 27.

“In spite of our efforts to move Heaven and Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the festival happen,” organizers Emily and Michael Eavis said in a statement. “We thank you for your incredible support and let’s look forward to better times ahead.”

The organizers said ticket purchases that have already been made will be applied to next year’s festival. It marks the first time the festival will be forced to be postponed in consecutive years.

The 50th anniversary of Glastonbury was scheduled to be held last June, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The performers who were on deck to perform included Taylor Swift and Paul McCartney as headliners, as well as Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, the Pet Shop Boys and Diana Ross.

Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue and the Killers were among the 2019 performers. The festival can hold a capacity crowd of up to 210,000.

There have been concerns about Glastonbury possibly going bankrupt as a result of the cancellations. The festival lost “millions” last year, according to BBC News. Paul McCartney told a BBC reporter last month that he had no plans to perform at Glastonbury this year because of his concerns about Covid-19, saying he saw the event as being a  “superspreader.”

Various festivals from 2020 are being rescheduled for later in 2021, but it’s unclear whether or not Glastonbury’s cancelation will set a precedent for the year.